Sunday 22 November 2015

Shadows and Fog Movie Review

Shadows and Fog (1991)
Director: Woody Allen
I have been a big fan of Woody Allen for a long time now and have watched a decent percentage of his movies, I hadn't heard much about Shadows and Fog but the premise sounded interesting, especially for a Allen film so I thought I'd give it a go.
The narrative cross cuts between Kleinman played by Woody himself at an almost caricature level of neuroticism and Mia Farrow's character Irmy who works at a travelling circus as a sword swallower, these stories eventually cross with the link of a serial strangler that's on the loose on the foggy streets.
If you are familiar with Woody Allen's work I can imagine that the plot summary I just described would seem odd, the setting is a definite departure from his usual contemporary New York setting, not to say he hasn't done period pieces before but for him to do something that on the surface looks like an old German expressionist film is kind of unusual.
All I can really say about this film is that it didn't leave me thinking it was especially good or bad which is almost worse than being terrible, it was just forgettable. This was Allen's highest budget movie with the elaborate set design and period features and not to say that this film doesn't look very impressive because it does, it nails the atmosphere it's going for but in terms of story and leaving you with something to think about, it is lacking.
There are some serious underlying themes but they never really gets past Woody's fears of a godless universe and death, these are themes that he explores repeatedly and to be honest if the film isn't doing it for me, I just find it annoying.
Overall, I think it's cool for a film like this to be in his filmography but it just feels wishy washy and would be immediately forgettable if it wasn't for the setting. I would only recommend this if you'd be interested in seeing how Allen's mind would translate to Jack The Ripper kind of setting but if not, I wouldn't bother.  
5/10

22/10/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment